Admissions Process & Requirements
We serve students from various diverse backgrounds.
Portland Christian School has chosen to serve every student, with few exceptions, who applies for admittance whether in the inner city or the outskirts of Louisville. This is the choice PCS has made in determining the best way to serve those God sends to PCS. PCS is one of the few Christian schools that continues to serve the inner city while also expanding to serve the eastern Jefferson County community as well.
We have a mission. We have a vision. We have core values.
The families whose children are admitted to the school must agree with the school’s Statement of Faith, vision, and core values. The education offered in a Christian school must be Christ-centered. Understanding the mission, vision, and the core values are important in keeping a Christ-centered environment. The nature and quality of its relationships with the families and the like-minded churches is evaluated, and information about its students, families, churches, and community is analyzed so as to better understand and serve its constituents more effectively.
A diverse student body allows for a great experience.
Portland Christian’s student body is made up of students from all geographic areas and various Christian denominations. PCS does require faithful service and attendance in the family’s home church. Portland’s curriculum includes a Bible class or chapel service each day we are in session.
Requirements & Information for Admission
All required records and information are listed below and are available for download by clicking the ‘pdf’ link beside each available document.
In order to get started as fast as possible, please supply the following items:
- $75 Application fee (per applicant) with the Admission Application
- Copies of report cards for the previous two years or a transcript
- Any standardized test scores that are available
- Copy of any professional testing that would impact instruction
Forms & Documents
- Admissions Application (Download Application)
- Student Statement (for grades 7 thru 12) – (Download PCS Student Statement)
- Records Request (Download Records Request Form)
- Tuition & Fees Payment Agreement Form – (Download 2017-18 Tuition Fees Payment Agreement Form )
- Parental Cooperation Statement, Book Agreement, Non-discriminatory Policy, Reporting of Specified Incidents of Student Conduct and Student Agreement (Downlaod Parental Agreements)
- Teacher Recommendation – (Download Teacher Recommendation Form)
- Minister Recommendation – (Download Minister Recommendation)
Other Required Forms & Documents
- Copy of Birth Certificate (state issued, not hospital issued)
- Copies of Report Cards for the previous two years or a transcript
- Standardized Test Scores (if available)
- Legal Documents Concerning Guardianship (if applicable)
- Original Commonwealth of KY Immunization Certificate
- Tuberculin Skin Test (for any child who has been exposed to confirmed or suspected cases of TB in the last 5 years or who is suspected of having TB)
- KY Eye Examination Form for School Entry
- KY Dental Screening/Examination Form for School Entry
- Preventative Health Care Examination Form
Steps for Admission
We are very thankful for the opportunity to open the doors of Portland Christian School to new families each year. The following procedure has been established to aid in the acceptance of all new applicants in grades K –- 12.
Information (Kindergarten through Grade 12)
General information will be given over the phone (502) 429-3727 and is available at www.portlandchristian.org. If Internet access is not available, an information packet can be mailed to the home upon request. This packet includes application information for one student. Please call the school to request additional application forms if Internet access is not available.
Developmental Screening (Kindergarten)
After the application and $75 application fee has been submitted, the Admissions Office will call and schedule a developmental screening. The screening is a one-on-one event involving the student and a teacher to aid in helping the child have a successful beginning in school. The screening can be completed in about an hour.
Within 3 – 5 days the Director of Admissions will call with the screening results and answer any questions.
Admission Testing (Grades 1 through 12)
After the application and $75 application fee has been submitted, the Admissions Office will call and schedule a test. Typically we schedule small groups of the same grade level. This will take about 2 ½ hours. We look forward to this time to introduce you to the school. Within 3 – 5 days the Director of Admissions will call with the test results. A student’s scores on the admissions test are not the sole factor considered for acceptance. The scores do help us to determine a successful placement for the child.
Interview (Grades K through 12)
When test results and application information is complete, the Admissions Office will call and arrange for an interview with the student(s) and their parent(s).
Admissions Evaluation (Kindergarten through Grade 12)
After the Admissions Committee has evaluated the applicant’s file, parents will be notified promptly, in writing, of the Admission Committee’s decision. Please feel comfortable in calling, if you have questions along the way.
Confirmation of Acceptance (Kindergarten through Grade 12)
After confirmation of acceptance is received, please contact the business office at
(502) 429-3727 in order to confirm that financial arrangements have been completed. Seats are reserved, in order, upon successful completion of the admissions’ process, including financial arrangement approval. Arrangements must be made with the Business Office regarding the payment of tuition.
If you have any questions or concerns other than fees, they should be directed to the child’s principal.
It is important that you prayerfully consider the Statement of Faith. We are an extension of your home and desire that we be consistent in support of one another.